Thursday, November 17, 2011

Crash!

Have you ever heard the phrase 'a moment can change everything'. I had that point hammered home to me on Tuesday morning. It was about 10am. I'd been editing my little heart out on my Janurary release, Behind Closed Doors.

As always, when I finished the three chapter section that I'd been working on, I hit save and then immediately pulled up my e-mail to send the changes to my editor. The screen was up, her address loaded, the subject line filled. Then...nothing. The computer froze. I tried several things including restarting the computer, but all I got was a pop up message telling there was an error in loading. At that point, I knew my only option was to call my computer guy and see if he could fix the problem.

From past experience, I copied down the exact message I'd received when the computer crashed and handed it over. The looking on his face wasn't good, but I knew if anyone could fix the machine it was him. He's worked miricles in the past.

The following day, I received a mixture of good and bad news from him. He was able to get the computer running again, but it was only temporary. I should have enough time to get the files copied off the hardrive, but that's about it. My computer was about to meet it's final death in a very short amount of time.

Let me explain that said computer is roughly ten years old. We'd been contemplating buying a new one for a couple of years now, but this development forced our hand.

Luckily, we were able to find a new computer fairly easily last night. We found they don't even carry computers anymore like the one we had. lol.

The new addition to our home is now settled into its new home and ready for the load of work ahead of it.

Has anything like this ever happened to you? Were you able to recover your files or did you lose everything?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, had a computer crash, then, several issues trying to get it fixed. I don't have a savvy computer guy, just had to take to a big box store. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet...I'm sure I will. That sucks :( I've taken to at least using a flash drive, but I need to use another backup, thanks for the reminder

    Erika

    ReplyDelete