Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Audiobook Anyone?

About a month ago on my Facebook page, I asked a question to my followers about audio books. Do you listen to them? Why or why not?

The overwhelming reason I got back for people not listening to audio books was that the narrators were annoying. I knew exactly what they meant! I've listened to several audio books over the years, sometimes its nice to have a good distraction while driving long distances, and I've encountered some very bad audio recordings. Some were so annoying that they pulled me out of the story.

This is why, when I was told that Slave was going to be turned into an audio book that I was grateful I was given a say in who the narrators would be. I got to listen to the male and female voices this past weekend, and make my recommendation. It was a fun process, but I will admit it was a little strange hearing the words I'd written being read out loud.

The woman who will be reading Brianna's part is a little older than what I would have liked, however, when I heard her reading Brianna's POV I felt she nailed her helpless vulnerability in Slave. Her reading was so full of emotion that she pulled me right into the story. The man reading Stephan's POV also had that tone that drew me in.

They are supposed to start work on recording Slave this week. I don't have a tentative date for it's release yet. When I find out, I'll let you all know. I'm really looking forward to hearing the final recording.

3 comments:

  1. How exciting to be so involved and to also be happy with the way it's going. Good luck with it. I'm interested to know how they sell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just getting into audio books myself...have a 'couple' doing 4 of them so it sounds more like a radio show than just a read. But also have 2 great female narrators doing two each - fantastic voices. It does take time to really listen to a narrator and make sure their voice matches the story. And totally agree, it is weird to hear your words outloud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to do this with my books. I've been looking and trying to get round to it for some time. I am planning on doing the narrative myself, but will certainly take on board what you've said.

    ReplyDelete