Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Welcome Wednesday - Genevieve Jourdin

This week I'm welcoming author Genevieve Jourdin to the blog.


Genevieve Jourdin is a writer of romancy chick lit, mother of a surly teen, and chief bottle washer of her husband’s audio company. In her free time, she can be found perusing the offerings at thrift stores and estate sales of central Texas in search of vintage cookbooks.
 
 
 
Visit Genevieve's Blog
 
 
1.  Have you always wanted to be a writer? How did you get started writing romance?
Yes, I have always wanted to be a writer. I was the nerd in school that was the first to turn in stories and research papers, and I was also the first person to raise my hand to read my work aloud.
I used to devour the old Harlequin’s with the red edges that I would “liberate” from the bottom of my grandmother’s closet. Even as a young teen, I would very often rewrite parts of the story that I didn’t like. I guess it was a bit of fanfiction before I knew there was such a thing. My first stab at a story of my own was about fourteen years ago when my husband bought me a fabulous hardbound journal with lined paper. It was screaming for a romance story, so I wrote one. It was terrible, and I’ll never publish it, but once I got that one out of my head, they started coming nonstop.
2.  Tell us about your writing process. Do you outline, or are you more of a seat of your pants type of a writer?
I am completely a pantser. The few times I’ve tried to outline a story I lost the zeal to finish it. I like being surprised as I go along.
3.  Are there any romance novel cliché that make your cringe when you read them?
The billionaire businessman blackmailing the poor woman into marriage (or mistress-dom) scenario is cringeworthy to me. Those were the stories that I rewrote as a kid.
4.  What is the hardest scene you’ve had to write, and what made it so difficult?
It’s actually part of a story that will probably never see the light of day, and I haven’t been able to finish it yet. It has to do with the death of a loved one and the decision to commit suicide. I’ll write a few lines then I’ll go back to something easier. I write much more lighthearted stories, usually, and now I understand why.
5.  Which of your heroines would you say is most like you, and why?
I put the most of my own characteristics into Justine in Just Add Heat. The obvious traits that I share with her are 1.) being a chef, and 2.) the tendency to really over think things. She’s kind of a spazz, as well, so I think that keeps her from being a Mary Sue.
6.  What are you working on now?
I’ve been writing a story with a sexy, near virginal six foot tall leprechaun. He’s been begging me to get him a woman, and I’m almost there.
 
 
Take one part slightly insecure woman and add one part confidently sexy man.  Mix well. Pour out the memories of the past two years and what do you have? A recipe for disaster. 

Justine is a boyfriend-less chef; at least, that's the last thing she remembers. After a fall wiped the memories of the last two years of her life, she's struggling to absorb her new circumstances. Apparently, she's the racy star of her own web-based cooking show and has become involved with a sexy younger man. Why would amnesia strike when her whole life has had such a major upgrade? 

Carter is living the life he's always dreamed of, a life with Justine, and he refuses to let a bump on the head derail his plans for a Happily Ever After. He'll do whatever it takes to remind her that they are the perfect couple, but how do you make the woman you love remember that she loves you? 

Luckily for the both of them, her recollections are tied up with her hormones, and they have all the ingredients they need for a happy life.





No recipe required: Just Add Heat 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment