Wednesday, May 28, 2014

To Comment, or Not To Comment

I stumbled onto a conversation over on Goodreads the other night. The discussion took several twists and turns when I brought up that the only time I comment on reviews is if the reviewer asks me a direct question such as 'when is the next book coming out?'.

To my surprise, one person wasn't happy that I responded to reviewers at all. In their view that meant I was hovering and it was a 'dangerous path' for an author to take.

I scratched my head a little on that one. It made no sense to me. Why, exactly, would you NOT answer a reader's question?

The person insisted that if a reader really wanted to know that they would message the author privately. This, again, didn't follow through with my experience. Most of the readers who do reach out to me via email or private message on Goodreads open with an apology. They feel as if they are bothering the author.

I'm curious as to what others have experienced. Readers, do you like when you ask a question in your reviews and authors respond, or do you feel that is intrusive?

And authors, do you comment on reviews? I'm not talking about negative reviews. It should be common knowledge that no good can come of that. What I'm talking about are four and five star reviews where the reader loved the book and can't wait for more.

Please leave a comment below and let me know what you think?

9 comments:

  1. I don't comment on reviews but like you, I've answered the exact same question without thinking about it. I mean, do readers think we don't look at reviews? I know some authors that don't but many do. I would hope that readers would be thrilled that the author took the time to look at their views. I've had some 'like' my reviews on goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience has always been positive when I've answered reader questions on reviews, but apparently there are some readers out there who think it's wrong.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I comment. If they ask a question - I answer to the best of my ability. I think it's polite and good manners. That one reader should be an exception to common protocol. Maybe just someone having a bad day. I would not reply to her - I would ignore her unless you want to get into a fighting match. (fun sometimes - but not good for an image). But we're above that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Mary. I would think it rude not to respond when I see a reader has a question for me.

      Delete
  3. I think you should comment if the reviewer asks a question like that. It doesn't mean you're hovering if you check your reviews. We all wait with baited breath to read reviews and see how our books are being received. I don't think that's a secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't think it was a secret either, Jean.

      Delete
  4. I want to converse with readers. I want them to ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Nicole. Writing is a very solidarity profession. I love connecting with readers who love my characters as much as I do.

      Delete
  5. I haven't gotten reviews yet, but I can't see myself ever not responding! I stalk my reports page to see if someone's bought my book yet, and I"m ecstatic when I see they have. I hope I get good reviews of course, but if any questions are ever asked I'll be answering them directly. I think there's something special about an author that responds to readers, it means they CARE.

    ReplyDelete