Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Joy Of Editing...NOT

Editing has to be the absolute worst part of being an author. At least, it is for me. I dread opening that file from my editor knowing I have to go through every word one at a time. On one hand I just want to put it off for as long as possible. On the other, I want to get it done so it can get off my desk and I can move on to something more pleasant.

This past week has been all about edits for me. Burning For Her Kiss is releasing on February 12, 2015, and the there is still a lot to do between now and then.


I enjoyed the months I spent writing Beth and Drew's story. It's been unlike anything I've written in the past, yet still at it's heart it is about two people falling in love. I'm a die hard romantic at heart, and hopefully that will never change.

That being said, I still hate edits. They always put me in a bad mood. I wish I could point to the thing about them that irritates me, but I can't. If I had to take a guess, though, it's probably because editing is one of the sides of writing that has nothing to do with creativity. Even marketing taps into the creative process. Writing the book, creating the cover...some bit of creativity is involved. Not so with editing.

Leave a comment below and tell me what is your favorite, and least favorite, part of the 'creative' process.

1 comment:

  1. I think the most frustrating part of editing for me is finding out what's wrong with my text...and then not knowing how to fix it. I have no problem admitting that I need to fix things. I love taking pieces out and choosing new words (I'm obsessed with the thesaurus.), but I hate the struggle to replace those original words with words I'm not sure are any better than the first.

    ReplyDelete